Monday, June 15, 2009

Battle of the Bulge: Chapter 1

The longest battle ever fought?

Hundred and sixteen years of war, from 1337 to 1453, between England and France! FALSE.

Battle of the Bulge! Or shall I say, the epic war we women fight with our weighing scales is the longest war ever fought and still going on. No clear winner has emerged on either side.

Hello Peeps,

I am a woman in thirties (sorry the numbers just blur after you hit 30.) So anyhow, I am trying to lose weight, not for the first time . . . I have been a foot soldier of the epic battle since the last two decades. The pounds were defeated and sent to exile when I was in my twenties. But suddenly and terrifyingly, several years ago, they staged a coup.

The coup wasn’t overnight but a success because for the last eight years or so it wasn’t all about me anymore. They were additions to my life; a ring on my finger, a kid to raise and of course a darn house to run and if the plate wasn’t loaded enough, I decided to kick start a new career, become a writer.

98% of the time, I sincerely thank god for the things, I just griped about in the para above. But when I stand, one foot and one toe on the weighing scale, I know what’s coming between me and my Heidi Klum like body (minus her hair, her height, her smile and her millions, I know I have a Heidi hiding inside me. We all do! You know it. Only the names vary, Heidi, Aishwarya, Gisele, etc!)

Anyhow getting back to the battle of the bulge! Like I mentioned, having different priorities made the coup successful and the fat found spots on my body that I had stopped using, (the unfortunate and laden parts are listed below)

My Obliques for one (obviously lifting things off and picking things up, from the floor, only works the nerves not the waist)

Upper and lower abdomen. Damn, I didn’t even know there were two sets of abs till I saw the my one stomach bifurcate into two RV tires.

Big butt! Self explanatory, so moving on.

Jelly thighs packaged with a few layers of good old fat.

But a teeny tiny detail, in us women, the bulge overlooks, is something we are globally ridiculed for- we are the NAGS. Women can moan, groan, gripe, croak and whine until we are heard or obeyed (men obviously have a hearing problem and they call us names). In other words, and going by our spirit, I would say that, hold your breath, being a nag is not bad. It inversely points to the fact that women persevere , are tenacious, and do not give up. How’s that? Like the thought, then hold on to it!

Therefore nagged by my perseverance, I’ve decided to lose the fat and get my Heidi Klum body back. This time I want to send the bulge back from where it came, unlike the terminator who keeps coming back in sequels.

So a few decisions were arrived upon between my brain and me and of course, the wallet was never ignored.

Goal: To go from size 12 to a size 6 (only if I am still alive in the year 3000). I think, size 8 is probably more realistic, and would look healthy on 5 foot 6 inch frame. I am taking the path of inch loss rather than weight loss- the end is the same only the road travelled different. Moreover, I do not want to obsess or get freaked out by the weighing scale which starts resembling Jason from Friday the 13th, whenever I try to drop the pounds.

Time to achieve my goal: This no death race therefore I shall give myself 6 months. If it happens before I promise not to binge.

Obstacles: My inherent laziness, hectic schedule (even though I am a stay at home, it means I’m a work at home) and the loss of will power.

Motivation: A) Heidi Klum body. B) Gain confidence and that feeling of being invincible which pathetically sometimes tends to be as good as my reflection in the mirror. And the ultimate motivator, beat the crap out of the bulge-take it out rather than let it take me in.

Firstly, some basics necessities were taken care of. I have a found a gym, four miles away from where I live, which is a suburbia in Orange County which in part is a suburbia of Los Angeles.(As I’m not promoting anything, except weight loss and self esteem, both of which do not require sponsorship, I shall skip names of places.)

This gym was not only well equipped but also has a fantastic and well-supervised kid center. Now I have a reliable, dependable and adorable gym buddy, my three year old. She’ll never cancel on me because of a sudden date or deadline.

Next, without breaking a budget, bought some workout clothes, not too tight (no love handles need to be overtly displayed) and not too loose (size 12 should not resemble size 18).

And lastly and very importantly decided on a diet: Low fat, low carb and high protein (there is so much information out there on the web that in few days and few hours of research I had the knowledge I needed). Also, have decided to guzzle at least 4 liters of H2O as water increases metabolism (mine is at the point of extinction) and keeps you feeling stuffed enough not to chow down calorie infested soul food.

All you wonderful people, who have taken the time out of their crazy schedules to read this, must be wondering why the heck is she blogging about her decision to lose weight. The answer is simple, the easiest promise to break is the one made to no one.

I am hesitantly, reluctantly, and cruelly, exposing my Achilles heel and personal demon, as a motivation to myself and anyone else who wants to tread on the same route. I know the journey shall be long, sweaty and overwhelming. One thing I shall make very clear, I’m not taking any foolish or rash steps, I’ll eat healthy and portion-controlled but definitely eat.

At least, once or twice a week, I will update my struggles, successes and whatever drama that comes in between. From all you, readers, I need reactions. Please, pretty please, do post your thoughts and comments on the Blog page. Also, forward this link to any one you know, who might have staged a similar battle, or is planning to go on one, or just likes reading and trusts your judgment. Thank you and till next time.

Abientot and Jai Ho! :)

9 comments:

  1. hey, good luck girl....i would say motivation is important,find a friend who can do this with you. It will be easier.Also eating right is very important.I worked out for a few months with little success. But the minute I started eating right, I started to shed pounds. I wasnt waging a battle, but I shed a good 10 pounds and am staying at that. Eat smaller amounts 5 times a day, eat within half to one hour of waking up and drink plenty of watrer. Hope to hear good progress....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny - varsha - and really well written.isn't blogging great? (see mine at http://peesandques.blogspot.com - though its not as interesting as yours, more like rambling). all best to your attempts and know that sajni aunty- my mom - is also locked in battle and is quite discouraged at this moment. we are currently trying to negotiate the problems she faces with her own axis of evil (butt, boobs, belly) with the help of a personaltrainer. however said trainers are rare and hard to come by in the little haMLET OF kottayam kerala. therefore we really need to work on more diplomacy, more intervention and er....hours of treadmill time that my poor mother must put herself through. mean while, i myself am on the skinny side of the battle of the bulge but am aware that come 40, i will be on the bulging side. (my mother followed the same pattern--skinny till 40 and then it was gone)until then,i'm packing away as many ritter sports bars as i can.

    love
    shaleena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post varsha! Way to go...I am committed to follow suit so do post your progress and we can exchange notes :-)
    Manisha from Bay area

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your blog. I was in the same boat 2 yrs back after birth of my second daughter. But I was able to win my battle.
    I am aiming for a six pack now ;)
    Need two more months to lose my last 15 pounds. I came down from size 13 to size 7 in 1 yr. I would say 90 % is diet and 10 % exercise to lose the initial flab. But once you are done losing all the bulge, exercise becomes one of the most important priorities. Never go on a diet .., make good food choices your lifestyle. Go on a raw food diet for a month to get all the toxins out. You will instantly lose 10 pounds.
    Few important tips:-

    1) Eat good breakfast.
    2) As one of your friends suggested..., 4-5 small meals spaced 2-3 hrs.
    3) Fruits till noon as they have fructose. Keep eating boiled, steamed or raw vegetables all day. Salads are your best friend. Add raw bell peppers, spinach, little lettuce, alfa alfa sprouts, carrots, etc etc to make it more colorful. Make sure to drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the salad as it’s aids in the digestion of the raw food. Again never think of this as a diet. Make it a lifestyle. You can always have one day in the week as your cheat day.

    4) Carb till noon. No late night dinners. Fat free or low fat milk.

    5) Loads of water (luke warm) with little lime all day. Good cleanser.

    6) Take omega 3 supplements. It increases your metabolism. Make sure to take all your multivitamins and calcium.

    7) After exercise take a good protein shake. Whey protein shakes are great. I add a little cinnamon, half banana, frozen mixed berries and fat free milk. You get this 1 hr window after your weight training routine when your body just takes all these goodness in a positive way.

    8) Lastly try Astanga Yoga. It's the best thing I found.

    I hope we will be able to motivate each other. I need to lose my last 15 pounds to get the Heidi body. And I think no one can stop me now.... except my kids can be a pain sometimes….

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Varsha,

    Welcome to the world of blogging.

    I do have to say you have a wonderful flair for words and your writing proves it. Do continue blogging - it is therapy at its best even if you don't need therapy.

    Next, good luck to you as you start your gandhi march. I hope you find what you want.

    I'm not going to give you a lot of advice on what to do or how to do it - you probably know them all by now. But, I will tell you though that I have also been trying this for a while now. Lost 17lbs in about 3 months now. Gunning for much more. My way to do it is walking and jogging. I walk/jog 3-4 miles everyday - all 7 days - I do 30-40 mins in the morning and evening after dinner. Works great for me. In the weekends, I push it to 5-6 miles as I have the time or make the time for it.

    Let's cheer each other up on our journeys to the wild side!

    In case you need some recipes, I've been trying to cook healthier and put up my recipes in my blog - you might see something that you might like. Check it out - www.mriganayani.com

    Cheers! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Varsha - btw - Mriganayani is me - Anu Nandu. Just in case you can't identify!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A huge hug & thank you to all who have taken the time to read and comment on my tale of adipose woes! We shall prevail! I shall be updting u all with my progress soon! Thank u!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey varsha! Reading u'r blog was like reading my own thoughts. I feel the pain girl..i am certainly riding in the same boat as u! I went down from size 12 to 6 after my first born and now am back from 6 to 12 after my second born! I need all the motivation to set sails on this stormy journey again! Having no time to exercise and managing back pain 24/7 doesnt help..so may be u can help motivate me, keep me on track! Lets promise each other to win this battle agaisnt bulge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Funny Versha.
    Loved your post and needless to say that there is a Heidi in me also relating to every word you said, just dying to popup one fine day.
    Do post your journey and experience.
    Are you joining any special workout classes?
    I for one - have tried so many times to do some grp classes in a gym - has never worked out. Never found the time and energy to get to the gym so doing it at home and having a dog now helps me to be on my feet all the time :-)
    btw did I say it already... loved your blog post.

    ReplyDelete